I was up in Donner Lake and although I didn't have most of my cooking tools I still managed to whip up something. High altitude can't even stop me! My grandma said "Giulia use the blueberries in the fridge" and from that request came these crispy buttery blueberry bars. This recipe fit into a 9 by 13 pan which makes it perfect for a large crowd. The bars remind me a little of a fruit crisp and I would highly recommend eating with some ice cream fresh out of the oven.
What you need: Makes 12 bars
For the crumb:
1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 cups (390 grams) all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
Zest of one lemon
1 cup (8 ounces or 225 grams) cold unsalted butter, cut into chunks
1 large egg
For the berries:
What to do:
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a 9×13 inch pan.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup sugar, 3 cups flour, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest. Use a fork or pastry cutter to blend in the butter and egg. Dough will be crumbly. Pat half of dough into the prepared pan.
3. In another bowl, stir together the sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice. Gently mix in the blueberries.
4. Sprinkle the blueberry mixture evenly over the crust. Crumble remaining dough over the berry layer.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until top is slightly brown. Cool completely before cutting into squares.
Recipe from: Amusing Foodie