What you need: Serves 12 (for 9*5 inch pan), 18 (for 8*4)
For the crust:
For the filling:
For the chocolate topping:
1 cup dark chocolate chips
2 tbsp. almond butter
Sea salt, for topping (I highly recommend this, the salt really enhances the flavor of the chocolate)
What to do:
1. Preheat the oven to 350F and grease a 9x5 or 8x4 bread tin with oil.
2. In a food processor, pulse the crust ingredients until combined and sticking together in a dough form. Press the crust into the tin and bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown around the edges. Remove from oven and cool completely.
3. Drain the soaked dates and toss into the blender with the other ingredients for the filling. Blend until smooth. Spread the filling on top of the crust in an even layer. Place in the freezer for 30 minutes to allow the filling to firm up.
4. In a double-boiler or microwave-safe bowl, melt the dark chocolate. Stir in the nut butter and whisk until smooth. Pour this over the filling and place back in the freezer until the chocolate has set, about 30 minutes.
5. Sprinkle with sea salt, and slice into bars.
Notes: I used a 9x5 pan. If you want thicker bars use the 8x4 pan.
I didn't have almond butter on hand so I subsitutued peanut butter and it tasted great.