Dates have become my new best friend. You can make just about anything with them, and anything you do make with them has the best chewy texture – just like these bars. These are very similar to my coconut date bars minus the coconut and plus the chocolate layer on top. Eat these bars as a snack or simply enjoy for dessert.
What you need:
11-12 medjool dates (1 cup packed), pitted and soaked for 5 minutes, drained.
1 1/2 cups nuts (I did half almonds and half walnuts)
1 cup quality dark chocolate chips, melted (~6oz)
What to do:
1. Line an 8x8 pan with parchment paper, or use a silicone square pan and place on baking sheet, set aside. You may also use 9x5 loaf pan, your base will just be thicker.
2. In a food processor add drained/pitted dates and nuts. Process until dates and nuts have broken down, and only small pieces of nuts can be seen. Mixture should be sticky.
3. Transfer mixture to prepared pan, pressing evenly into all corners and press down flat.
4. Melt chocolate in the microwave or over a double boiler. *
5. Pour melted chocolate over bars and spread evenly.
6. Place bars in freezer for 10 minutes to allow chocolate layer to set, or fridge for at least 20 minutes. Remove bars from pan and place on cutting mat for easier slicing. Using knife, gently slice into 24 bars. Enjoy!
*Make a double boiler by placing the bowl of chocolate over a pot of simmering water. Make sure the bowl is not touching the water and that the water is not boiling.
Recipe from: Fit Mitten Kitchen